Friday, September 30, 2011

Thank God for great rescue groups!

In March of this year we decided to adopt a puppy. My boyfriend, Aaron, really isn't much of a dog person but I had grown up with dogs and was missing that companionship. So, we went on PetFinder.com and looked through some local rescue groups. But, by the end of the 1st month I was annoyed, worn out and ready to throw in the towel.

Between rude people, groups that wanted literally $500 for a mixed breed rescue puppy (I can't afford that!) and not getting responses when asking about the status of the dogs listed, it was just too much to handle.

The lowest point was the foster mom who said she was "too busy" to answer any questions about the dog and that we'd just have to wait until she could find time. 2 weeks later, she still didn't "have the time." We came to find out she had already placed the dog. My best friend had actually started this rescue group and was still friends with the director. She was more than a little angry when she learned what had happened. "Why didn't she tell them about our other dogs then? I have 7 dogs that I'm fostering myself because we have so many that need good homes!!"

Needless to say, after all the drama we were ready to put our adoption process on hiatus. I decided to give myself one more day to look before we gave up completely.

Luckily, that was the day I found Last Day Dog Rescue based out of Michigan. We found "Sake," the 8 months old "Chihuahua-Fox Terrier Mix."  It took less than an hour to get all of the information finalized and by the next day we knew that we'd been approved to adopt Sake and were put in touch with his foster mom. The following Friday, we were on our way to pick up the newest member of the family. I'm thankful for the entire crew at LDDR and for his foster mom, Jill, who sent photos, answered questions and went out of her way to help us get to know our pup.


And now, 5 months later, we have a well adjusted 40lb "Chihuahua."  We renamed him Achilles. And while Aaron still isn't really a dog person ("The cats are a lot smarter!") I am totally in love with my cuddly pup. Achilles is well behaved, completely potty trained (thank goodness) doesn't chew everything (anymore) and has even managed to learn some tricks. And the cats are even starting to like him (a little.) He's my big baby and I couldn't imagine life without him!

I'm very thankful for all of the amazing rescue groups that go above and beyond to save and care for animals. I know you all work so hard and give up your own time and money to make sure these animals go to great, loving homes. I wish I could do what you guys do everyday!

Maybe since this teaching thing isn't working out I should consider working at a vet's office. Or with a rescue group. Hmmmm...

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment